On Friday, May 5th Dr. Thomas Mather, Professor, University Rhode Island, (aka “the tick guy”) discussed how to protect yourself, your family and your pets from ticks. The webinar was moderated by Ellen Huckabay and Bethany O’Rear. To watch the webinar visit: All Bugs Good and Bad Webinar Series: Ticks. More information about the webinar can be found here: learn.extension.org.
Last May the Public Tick IPM Working Group worked to help implement and organize an ITM Symposium! The symposium was hosted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Entomological Society of America, the IPM Institute of North America and the North Central IPM Center in Washington, DC for the Integrated Tick Management Symposium: Solving America’s Tick-Borne Disease Problem. Click here to view the full presentations. Over 150 attendees joined us to learn about tick-borne diseases.
- Current status of the tick and tick-borne disease (TBD) problem and current practices for Integrated Tick Management.
- The connection between Integrated Tick Management, reducing tick populations and disease transmission.
- Identify knowledge gaps and prioritize needs.
- Identify existing and potentially impactful approaches, collaborations, and level of investment required to significantly reduce the burden of illness and public health impact of ticks and TBDs.
- Summarize findings for informing various constituencies including government at all levels, funding agencies, the media, and the public about the impact of TBDs and possible solutions.